This assignment is an analysis of a selected neuropsychological disorder. The disorder you select this week will be used to complete the Week 1 assignment (topic selection). You will continue to use the same disorder to complete the Week 2 assignment (annotated bibliography), the Week 3 assignment (annotated outline of Final Project), and the Week 5 assignment (Final Project). Your completed Weeks 1 through 3 assignments will be used as a foundation to help you complete your Week 5 assignment (Final Project).
Select a neuropsychological disorder for comprehensive analysis from the following list. Your selection of topic should be based on your personal or professional experience, or your own academic or personal interest in the topic. Be sure to use current terminology from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 (DSM-5).
Please select your topic from the following list:
- Major depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the anxiety disorders (g., generalized anxiety disorder or social anxiety disorder).
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Substance use disorder (substance abuse and addiction)
- Provide both an overview of this topic plus a focus on a single drug of your choice.
- Neurodevelopmental disorder (autism spectrum disorder or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Neurocognitive disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the neurocognitive disorders (g., one of the dementias).
- Neurological disorder
- Choose and focus on one neurological disorder (g., multiple sclerosis, spina bifida).
- Sleep-wake disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the sleep-wake disorders.
- Feeding and eating disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the feeding and eating disorders.
- Sexual dysfunction or gender dysphoria
- Choose and focus on one of the conditions in these categories.
- Other neuropsychological disorder found in the DSM-5 but not on the list above
- This option must be approved in advance by the instructor before your assignment is submitted.
In keeping with the focus of this class, the emphasis of your assignment should be on the neuroscience aspects of the disorder you selected. In your assignment, please be sure that the following aspects of your topic are discussed:
- Explain the theories of etiology (causes) with a focus on the neurobiology of the disorder.
- Explain associated factors in development of the disorder (genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle).
- Describe the pathology of the disorder with an emphasis on the abnormalities of nervous system structure and function, including any genetic and biochemical aspects.
- Give examples of treatment options, including both drug (pharmacological) and non-drug (nonpharmacological treatments), with rationales for use of these treatments based on current understanding of the neurobiology of the disorder.
- Summarize diagnostic and research technologies employed in clinical diagnosis, clinical and behavioral health care, and basic science research.
Please research your topic and obtain a minimum of two to three scholarly and/or peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years. These sources should provide evidence-based information regarding the biological and psychological features of the disorder, with an emphasis on the neurobiology of your selected topic. Be sure to cite your sources in your assignment and include them on your references page. You may utilize required or recommended course materials in your work, but these will not count towards the reference requirements; however, you may cite and reference the DSM-5 as one of your sources used for the grading credit.
The Selection of Final Project Topic Week 1 assignment:
- Must be a minimum of two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.