It is important to identify and understand your own family culture in order to be able to understand and respect other cultures. Interview a family member, and an individual from another culture with which you are unfamiliar. Some examples of an individual from another culture to consider for the assignment include a neighbor, coworker, patient, or friend. Please inform the individuals of the purpose of this assignment and make sure you receive their consent.
Review the “Family Interview” template prior to the interview. Additional space is designated on the template for you to create three additional questions to ask both interviewees (family member and person from another culture). Additional questions should be relevant to the readings or discussion and should provide value to the interview by helping to understand culture.
Some of the questions may include:
- Family beliefs: Have they changed over generations?
- Educational and occupational status in the culture and in the family
- Communication methods: verbal and nonverbal
- Current family goals/priorities
- Family member roles and organizational systems
- Spiritual beliefs: current practice and death and dying
- Alternative lifestyles
- Work attitudes and structure
Using the “Family Interview” template, interview your designated family member and the person from another culture. Be sure to write your responses in a way that will assist you in writing your paper. After the interview is completed, write a paper of 750-1,000 words that includes the following:
- An introductory paragraph with the reasons for selecting the interviewees.
- A summary of the responses from the interview template gathered from the interviewees.
- A comparison and contrast of your findings between the two interviewees.
- A reflective concluding paragraph on how family roles affect the cultural domains and relationships for each individual.
Submit both the completed “Family Interview” template and the written paper” to the instructor.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
College of Nursing and Health Care Professions
When conducting the “Family Interview,” please make sure that you inform the individual you choose to interview that you will be using their responses in a compare and contrast cultural paper for HLT-324V. It is important that people give you approval to use their personal stories prior to doing so. Please use this template and the following questions below when conducting your interviews. In addition to these questions, you are required to ask another three questions, which you are to include on this template. Please submit this template with your paper by the end of Module 2.
1. What are your family roles/gender roles? How are they the same as or different from those traditionally practiced by your culture (who is the head of the household, who makes decisions, how are decisions made, etc.)?
2. What does your culture and family see as primary family goals (education, marriage, etc.)?
3. What is your culture’s view on alternative lifestyles (living together prior to marriage, domestic partnerships, single parenting, etc.)?
4. What are your family’s religious beliefs, and have they changed over generations?
5. What are your family’s spiritual beliefs around death and dying?
6. What are your culture’s education and occupational status within the family unit?
7. What are your culture’s preferred communication methods (verbal and nonverbal)?
8. Additional question:
9. Additional question:
10. Additional question:
Expert Solution Preview
Title: Understanding Family Culture and Cultural Differences
In this assignment, you are required to conduct interviews with a family member and an individual from a culture unfamiliar to you. The purpose of these interviews is to explore and understand family beliefs, educational and occupational status, communication methods, current family goals, family member roles, spiritual beliefs, alternative lifestyles, and work attitudes and structure. The collected responses will form the basis of a written paper comparing and contrasting the findings between the two interviewees and reflecting on how family roles affect cultural domains and relationships for each individual.
The assignment aims to highlight the significance of understanding one’s own family culture to appreciate and respect other cultures. It encourages students to engage in meaningful conversations by interviewing a family member and an individual from another culture. By exploring various aspects of family life, such as beliefs, roles, goals, and spirituality, students gain insights into the cultural dynamics that shape personal identities.
The interview process begins with obtaining consent and clearly informing the interviewees about the purpose of this assignment. It is essential to maintain ethical standards and ensure the confidentiality of personal stories shared during the interview. Students are required to use the provided “Family Interview” template, which includes suggested questions. Furthermore, they are encouraged to formulate three additional questions relevant to the readings or discussions, thereby adding value to the interview process.
After completing the interviews, students should write a paper of 750-1,000 words that includes an introduction, a summary of the responses from the interview template, a comparison and contrast of the findings between the two interviewees, and a reflective concluding paragraph on how family roles influence cultural domains and relationships for each individual. The paper should follow APA guidelines, and an abstract is not required.
It is important to emphasize that students must submit both the completed “Family Interview” template and the written paper to their instructor. By adhering to the provided rubric, students can ensure successful completion of the assignment. Additionally, using the university’s plagiarism detection tool, LopesWrite, will help maintain academic honesty.
By engaging in this assignment, students will develop their cultural competence, enhance their understanding of diverse family cultures, and cultivate respect for various perspectives. The ability to recognize and appreciate cultural differences is crucial for healthcare professionals, as it contributes to providing patient-centered care in a diverse society.
Please note that this answer provides an introduction to the given content. The actual assignment and its completion are the responsibility of the student.