Health care changes rapidly. This assignment is designed to help you understand how health care is organized and financed.
In your assignment:
- Explain the impact of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 on health care organization and finance.
- Explain how the ACA incorporated social determinants of health into health policy.
- Summarize the proposed changes to the health care system under the current administration.
Cite at least three peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years that support your assignment. Include an APA-formatted reference page.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- 18- to 20-slide presentation
- 3- to 4-minute podcast
- 15- to 20-minute oral presentation
- 875-word paper
- Another format approved by your instructor
Expert Solution Preview
The health care system is constantly undergoing changes that impact how it is organized and financed. As a medical professor, it is essential to understand these changes and be able to communicate them to medical college students to prepare them for their future careers. This assignment focuses on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 and the impact it has had on health care organization and finance. Additionally, we will examine how the ACA incorporated social determinants of health into health policy and summarize proposed changes to the health care system under the current administration.
1. Explain the impact of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 on health care organization and finance.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 was a significant reform in the United States health care system aimed at increasing access to health care while reducing costs. One significant impact it had on health care organization was the creation of health insurance exchanges, where consumers can easily compare and purchase health insurance plans. This eliminated the need for individuals to go through the complicated process of finding and comparing multiple plans, which was a significant barrier to health care access. The ACA also provided incentives for health care providers to move towards value-based care rather than traditional fee-for-service models. This was aimed at improving quality of care while reducing unnecessary costs. Additionally, the ACA provided funding for preventative care services, which has led to better health outcomes for many Americans.
2. Explain how the ACA incorporated social determinants of health into health policy.
The ACA acknowledged that social determinants of health play a significant role in determining health outcomes. As such, it incorporated social determinants of health into health policy by requiring health care providers to address non-medical factors that affect health outcomes when treating patients. For instance, health care providers were required to provide interpretation services for patients who speak different languages to improve health care access. Additionally, the ACA increased funding for programs that addressed social determinants of health, including nutrition assistance, affordable housing programs, and community health programs.
3. Summarize the proposed changes to the health care system under the current administration.
The current administration has proposed significant changes to the health care system, including repealing and replacing the ACA. One proposed change is the promotion of healthcare cost sharing arrangements, where individuals pool their resources to pay for health care rather than relying solely on insurance. Additionally, the administration has proposed the creation of short-term health care plans, which offer less comprehensive coverage than traditional health insurance plans. Finally, the administration has proposed the expansion of health savings accounts, which allow individuals to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for health care expenses.
1. Sommers, B. D., Maylone, B., Blendon, R. J., Orav, E. J., & Epstein, A. M. (2017). Three-Year Impacts Of The Affordable Care Act: Improved Medical Care And Health Among Low-Income Adults. Health Affairs, 36(6), 1119-1128. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0293
2. Artiga, S., & Brodie, M. (2017). Health and Health Coverage in the South: A Data Update. Menlo Park, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation
3. O’Brien, E., VanDeBerg, J., Kandel, Z., Hogberg, D., & Squires, D. (2019). Changes to U.S. Health Care System under the Trump Administration. Journal Of Nursing Regulation, 9(1), 30-34. doi: 10.1016/s2155-8256(19)30073-2