FOR THIS PARTICULAR THREAD, IF YOUR LAST NAME BEGINS WITH THE LETTERS A-M:
- Locate and post an advertisement that features a woman (or a woman’s body part, etc.) OR references (overtly or subtly) LGBTQ+ folks.
- Include a specific reading that you want to frame our discussion/analysis (see list below).
- Tell us where you found the ad and who you think is its target audience. (Context matters!)
- Comfero’s “Out of the Closet and Into the Ads”
- Susan Douglas’ “Narcissism as Liberation”
- Rosalyn Gill, “Empowerment and Sexism in Women’s Contemporary Advertising”
You are welcome to pose a specific question OR simply ask your peers how the article and its key terms lend insight (or challenge?) the advertisement.
Responders, I expect you to engage extensively with the text and the key terms to inform your analysis/opinion. You must use two (2) key terms or specific concepts from the required text to frame your analysis.
People who post first have dibs on what article they want to discuss. All articles need to be used at some point, so if you post later in the week, you’ll have to use the article/documentary that’s “left.” (We’ll have a couple repeats, but that’s okay…)
Posting an ad DOES NOT count as one of your posts — everyone will have to engage extensively with at least two (2) different discussions on this thread.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you find!